Tuesday, December 28, 2010

4

It was 12:15pm and Jin Hun had been calling Sam Soon’s phone for almost two hours with no response. Fighting with her was hardly uncommon but last night’s fight just seemed different. He’d barely slept and almost felt like his life was a scratched CD because all he could hear was Sam Soon’s voice saying, “I used to think that loving you would be enough, but I really don’t think it is,” over and over.

What was that supposed to mean? She wasn’t giving up on them, was she? Not that he would even let that happen. But the thought of her feeling so miserable with him literally turned his stomach. He had been unable to keep any of his breakfast down and he just hoped that she’d show up smiling, kiss him and everything will be fine. But the fact that she hadn’t taken any of his calls and there were only 5 minutes left before she was officially very late scared him shitless. He really didn’t know what he would do if she walked out of his life.

“Have you finally ended it with her?” He heard his mother say from behind him.

“What?” He glanced at her.

“You and Sam Soon. She’s not here. Have you finally ended it with her?” his mother said right before she sat on the couch.

He turned around to face her. “No. Why would I do that?”

She scoffed. “How old is she now? Thirty-eight?”

He rolled his eyes. “She’s thirty-four.”

His mother shrugged. “What difference does that make? She’s still too old.”

“I’m thirty-one.”

“Exactly. Now is the time for you to seriously start looking for a suitable wife.”

He folded his arms. “Why would I look for something I have already found?”

His mother shook her head with mock pity. “Hasn’t this gone on long enough? You actually think I will ever let Sam Soon bear a son for this family?”

“Wh-Wh-What?”

“Do you honestly think she can raise the kind of son this family needs? Listen, do yourself a favor and break up with her because I am never going to accept her, okay? I thought that was quite clear but apparently I was wrong.”

“Mo--”

“Good afternoon, Mother,” Sam Soon’s voice interrupted him.

Jin Hun turned sharply around to look at her. There were beads of sweat on her forehead.

“I’m so sorry I am late,” she continued as she tried to catch her breath. “I took the train to get here faster but they started having signal problems. I’m sorry about that. I brought a few things from the shop,” she said, holding up the bag. “I’ll take them to the kitchen,” she finished, smiling.

Jin Hun studied her face to try to figure out if she’d overhead anything. He followed her. “How did you get in?”

Sam Soon looked at him suspiciously. “Didn’t you ask me to come? I should have waited outside?”

“No, that’s not what I meant... I was just wondering… you know, I mean like… since I didn’t hear the doorbell.”

She searched his eyes. “Is everything okay?”

“Yes, yes,” he said dismissively. He tried his best to appear cool. “Was the door open?”

She looked back at the bag she brought with her. “I think Mi Joo was waiting for me because she opened the door before I could ring the bell.”

“Ah… I see,” he said, finally exhaling. “So why didn’t you answer your phone? You know I hate it when you don’t answer it.”

“Look, I’ve had a bad day, okay? I’m really not in the mood for this. I forgot my phone at home. I am sorry I didn’t call you to tell you I was running late. I didn’t realize I didn’t have it on me till I got on the train.”

“Okay. That’s fine… I’d thought… because you… yesterday… but yeah, it’s not a big deal.”

Sam Soon looked up at him. “Are you sure everything is alright?”

“Yes,” he replied, hoping his smile reached his eyes. “It is now that you’re here.”

“Good. Since I am here to celebrate Mi Joo’s birthday, could you scram so that I can get to work? I am sure there are quite a few things to do before her friends start arriving so… buh-bye!”


***

After the party, Sam Soon was helping to clear the kitchen when Jin Hun’s mother walked into the kitchen and signaled at the maid to leave.

“You need to stop bringing all these things around here,” she said when they were alone.

“What, Mother?” she asked cheerily.

“All these cookies and cakes. Maybe you’re not paying attention but Mi Joo has started to gain weight and it’s because you bring so much food with you.”

“But Mother, I only brought this much for the party.”

“So what?” She shook her head. “I don’t like the kind of influence you are having on my granddaughter. There are no fat people in my family and none on Jin Hun’s father’s side so I know it’s not genetic. Maybe you think it’s okay to be fat, but I don’t think so.”

“Mo—”

“Just stop it, okay?”

Not knowing what else to do, Sam Soon nodded.

“And you really don’t need to come around so much – it confuses things.”

Sam Soon’s eyes grew to the size saucers. In all the years she'd interracted with Jin Hun's mother, she'd never spoken to her in such a manner. “Pardon?”

“For example, you really didn’t need to come here today.”

Sam Soon struggled to keep the smile on her face. “But Mother, I came because it’s Mi Joo’s birthday.”

“I understand that but we could have done well without you. Don’t you think?”

Sam Soon lowered her eyes. “Yes, Mother.”

“And one more thing… don’t you think it’s time for you release Jin Hun?”

She'd mentally prepared herself for a confrontation like this but apparently, she hadn't prepared enough. “P-P-Pardon?”

“Look, I think you are a nice woman --I really do. But you are not right for my son. Jin Hun is sentimental and I can see that he won’t be the one to let you go, so you are going to have to do it. I know you say you love him, but I am sure you can love someone who is more suited for you. Wouldn’t it be better that way? And that way, everyone will be happy. The woman who marries my son is going to have to help him take over this hotel one day and I don’t think you can do it. It’s nothing against you, okay? So just let him go so that we can all move on with our lives.”

No comments: