Wednesday, December 29, 2010

3

Jin Hun ran after her and caught her at the door. “Where do you think you are going?”

She turned around and eyed him up and down. “I know you aren’t trying that shit now.” She stepped out of the restaurant and started walking towards the bus stop.

Jin Hun looked at her and then back at the restaurant. “Where’s the freaking waitress!” he shouted at no one in particular. Just as he was deciding to leave his credit card behind, he heard the waitress call to him.

Shortly after, he caught up with Sam Soon and grabbed her hand. “Where are you going to? My car is in the parking lot.”

“So what?”

“So let’s go,” he said, pulling her.

“Let go of my hand.” She stopped and looked at him. “Listen, just let go of my hand. I don’t want a ride. I want to take the bus.”

He sighed. “Then I’ll take the bus with you.”

Not saying anything, Sam Soon turned back around and started walking.

Jin Hun hated feeling so helpless. Of course he wanted to marry Sam Soon. In fact, when he thought about it, even though he didn’t know it at the time, he felt that he wanted to marry her the day he heard her crying in the men’s bathroom. And if he could control his mother, he would make her accept Sam Soon. But he couldn’t. Even though Sam Soon said he was imagining things, he knew his mother was starting to come around. Even though she acted like she wasn’t affected, he could tell that she was starting to like her… well, he hoped she was.

He’d toyed around with just having a court wedding without her consent but he couldn’t do that to her. He was her only living son and he didn’t think he could break her heart that way. Even though he missed the restaurant, he’d returned to the hotel to please her and discovered that he really loved working there. He’d hoped that it would soften her heart but it was almost four years and nothing had changed. It was frustrating but there was nothing he could do about it.

When they arrived at the bus stop, they stood in silence for a few minutes.

“So do you think the buses are still running?” he asked her. When she didn’t reply he said, “Because if they aren’t, I think it would be better for me to take my car – that way, I can drop you off right at your door.”
When she still didn’t respond, he said, “I wonder if this is a good neighborhood. If I come back here tomorrow, do you think my car would still be here? I hope it doesn’t get stolen.”

“So why don’t you just go back?” she asked.

“Because I can’t leave you when you’re like this.”

She glanced at him. “I’m a big girl – I can take care of myself.”

“So?”
She looked back and stared at him.

“What?” he asked.

She sighed. “You know what? Let’s just go back. Can you drop me off at my] home?” she asked far too politely.

Jin Hun pretended that didn’t sting and nodded.

***
They’d driven in silence for about ten minutes when Sam Soon said, “You do realize that nothing’s going to change, right?”

“What do you mean?” Jin Hun asked reluctantly.

“Your mother hates me.”

“No, she doesn’t. And no, I am not waiting for her to die. I can’t believe you said that.”

Sam Soon didn’t respond. She knew it was a lousy thing to say but deep down inside, she really didn’t see any other way.

“Don’t worry, Soonie, things will change.”

“Yeah, right. You are never going to stand up to her. She’s never going to change her mind. And we are always going to be like this.”

“Stop saying that.”

“It’s true. Speaking of which… do you know who I ran into the other day?”

“Who?”

“Remember that nice man I was match made with? The one I went out with a few times?”
He grunted. “Yes. And?”

“I saw him at the mall with his wife and son– he looked about 2 years old. They seemed very happy.”

“So?”

“I’m just saying.”

“What are you saying?”

“You know…”

“What?”

“I don’t know…,” she started in a small voice, “that could have been me.”

Jin Hun slapped the dashboard, took a sharp right then pulled over.

“Are you crazy? Are you trying to kill us?” Sam Soon yelled as she slapped his shoulder.

“No, I think that’s what you’re trying to do. What do you mean, “That could have been you?” What is that supposed to mean? Tell me!”

Sam Soon turned away from him and looked out of the window. “Calm down for goodness sake.”

“How do you expect me to be calm when you say something like that? Look at me when I am talking to you!”

She spun around to face him. “You’d better stop yelling at me! And I am just being honest. Things would have been easier if things were different. I mean… I am sick of this.”

“Are things so bad with me?” His voice was shaking.

“Listen,” she could feel her eyes getting wet, “you know I love you. But I am just so tired.” She felt a tear fall down her right cheek. “I used to think that loving you would be enough, but I really don’t think it is.”

Jin Hun looked away from her and just stared at the stirring wheel.

“Are you still taking me home or should I get out and walk?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he replied then started the car.

When they finally pulled in front of her house, he said, “Are you still coming over tomorrow?”

“Why wouldn’t I?” Sam Soon said as she opened the car door. “Mi Joo expects me, doesn’t she?”

No comments: