Thursday, December 30, 2010

2

“What do you mean, ‘break up?’” Yi Young asked from behind the computer.

“How many definitions do you know of?”

“I see.”

“What do you see?” Sam Soon asked.

“You really don’t want my help, right? 'Cos if you did, you wouldn’t be so rude, don’t you think?”

“Whatever.”

“So who are you trying to break up with?”

Sam Soon shook her head. “Who else?”

Still typing, her sister replied, “I know it can’t be Sam Shik so I honestly don’t know.”


“Unnie, I am serious.”
Yi Young stopped typing and turned to her. “Are we going back to this again?”

“Listen. I am 34 years old and I am not getting any closer to getting married. No matter how nice I am, his mother hates me and she isn’t going to change her mind.”

“So after all these years you are just going to give up?”

“Are you listening to me? I am 34 years old! Never married. No kids!”

“I don’t have any children either,” her sister pointed out.

“But by this time next month, you’d be on marriage number 2. And maybe this time next year you’d already have a child and I’ll still be here waiting for a miracle.”

Yi Young sighed. “Have you spoken to Sam Shik about this?” She got up and walked over to her sister.

“What do you think?”

“Well, if you’re sure you want to break up, I am sure the man on Table 7 will gladly take his place,” her sister teased.

Sam Soon rolled her eyes. “Is Mr. Lee here again?”

“What do you think? In the past year has your favorite customer failed to show up on any Monday, Wednesday or Friday?”

Sam Soon giggled. “Well, there’s always a first time.”

Yi Young stood next to her sister and stared at Mr. Lee from behind the counter. “He really isn’t bad looking for a man his age, you know…,” she said, stroking her chin. “In fact,” she reached for her sister’s phone that was laying on the counter. “Why don’t you call Sam Shik right now and break up with him? And while you do that, I’ll go and get Mr. Lee. What do you say?”

Sam Soon rolled her eyes but didn’t respond.

***
“Aunty! Aunty!” Mi Joo screamed as she ran into the store. Jin Hun walked in a few seconds later.

“What?” Sam Soon asked, coming out from behind the counter.

“Uncle says I can’t have any pastries today!”

Sam Soon hugged her. “Why would he say a ridiculous thing like that? I already have a piece of strawberry shortcake waiting for you.”

“That’s what I told him but he said I am getting fat.”

Sam Soon stepped back and made a huge show of looking her over. “I don’t see it. You are beautiful.”

“Aunty, I don’t even care if I get fat. I don’t mind being like you.”

Sam Soon burst out laughing. She turned to Jin Hun. “What have you been telling her?” she asked in a low voice, pulling him aside.

“Hey,” he said sheepishly. “I care about her health.”

“So are you saying that I am not healthy?”

“This is not about you. It’s about her.”

“But it’s about me too, since I am fat and you don’t want her to be. So are you saying that I am not healthy?”

“I like you the way you are.”

“But you don’t want her to be like me,” she said, trying her best to hide a smile. Sometimes, arguing with him was so much fun. And at that moment, looking into his eyes, she wondered how she could have even considered ending things with him.

“But Sam Soon, she’s not you,” he said earnestly. “I like her the way she is. Is that wrong?”

“But you think that if she gains weight she won’t be healthy. So do you think I am unhealthy?”

He groaned. “Listen, Soonie, I don’t want to fight.”

She chuckled. “Alright, just say you love me and I’ll forgive you.”

“What did I do wrong? Why should I be forgiven?”

“Just say you love me and I will forget that you called me unhealthy.” She ran her fingers on his left cheek.

“Just know that I am not saying this because I admit to any wrongdoing. I am saying it because it’s true.”

She put her hand down and stared at him for a few seconds. “I am waiting.”

He rolled his eyes then kissed her on the side of her mouth. “I love you,” he grumbled. “Happy now?”

Taking his arm, she pulled him back to Mi Joo. “Honey, Uncle and I had a talk and I think he’s right. How about you only have pastries about once a week? It’s really not healthy to eat so much sweet food.”


***
Later that evening…

“So you’re saying you’re not coming over tonight?” Jin Hun asked as they waited for the waitress to return with his credit card.

“Why would I? Do I live there?”

Jin Hun reached over and took her hand. “But my apartment misses you when you’re gone.”
“Really? Well, you know what to do to get me there permanently.”

He took his hand back and turned away.

“Cat caught your tongue?” she asked, standing up.

“Listen, Soonie.” He grabbed hand. “We just need to be patient.”

“Really?” She slapped his hand off. “How long are we waiting for, Jin Hun? Are we waiting till your mother dies? Because she’s as strong as an ox and I really don’t want to wait till I’m 70 to get married!” Without another glance, she turned around and walked out of the restaurant
.

No comments: